Pick a street, any residential street in Mount Eliza, and you’ll soon wander past beautifully maintained exteriors and spectacular landscape and garden designs.
Botanically rich surrounds have been a feature of Mount Eliza since before it was first settled. Inspired by the flora and coastal and bush outlooks presented to them, Walter Griffin and his wife Marion Griffin set out to create a blueprint for a seaside garden suburb.
Reflective of the diverse flora that thrives in and around Mount Eliza, each precinct brings something refreshingly different from its neighbours. For example, the leafy Woodlands Estate in contrast to the seaside gardens of Ranelagh Estate is an area of beautiful bush inspired residential landscapes.
The immaculately manicured grounds of Morningstar Estate are a fantastic example of how an extensive garden can flourish locally. Among vineyards and olive groves is also one of the largest collections of rose bushes in Victoria, Morningstar Estate is an exemplar of gardens that inspire a frolic!
Another stunning garden delight is celebrated private gardens, Earimil Gardens in Koornalla Crescent. For those lucky enough to revel in the hard work and generosity of residents Elaine and Reg Smith when they opened their magical gardens to the public (to raise money for children’s charities), Earimil Gardens was right up there with some of the best private gardens in the world.
Even our wonderful Country Fire Authority (CFA) team boast a landscape garden maintained by volunteers at the Mount Eliza Fire Station. Embracing the garden culture, the Fire Station has provided an example of what a bush fire resistant low fuel load indigenous landscape garden looks like. It’s impressive!
Mount Eliza’s enticing sea and bush scapes provide an idyllic backdrop for every genre of garden, such as the inspirations provided by wonderful public reserves such as the Moorooduc Quarry Flora and Fauna Reserve and fantastic meandering coastal vegetation reserves. In more recent times and influenced by the many Friends and Associations of Mount Eliza’s nature reserves, planting choices aligned to indigenous vegetation that suits the local climate are featuring in new and redesigned local gardens.
Behind great landscape design is a treasure trove of garden and landscape expertise supporting visionary residents
For a seaside suburb of less than 7,000 residential properties, Mount Eliza has a flourishing landscape design and garden supplies industry in its midst contributing to our impressive street scapes. If you need an arborist, a landscape architect or garden designer, a gardener or a garden maintenance service, you can shop local.
The list of gardening and landscape services and traders below is not exhaustive. It is intended to be a snapshot that provides a sense of how well catered for Mount Eliza is in terms of gardening related businesses. The lists are in alphabetical order based on the name of the business. If you then click on the name of each local business, it will take you to their online website or social media page.
Feel free to give your business, or someone else’s a plug if they’re local to Mount Eliza.
Mount Eliza and Surrounds' Plant Nurseries and Garden Centres
- Diacos: for garden products and advice
- Eden Gardens: to help choose from a wide genre of indoor and outdoor plants, as well as home wares, gifts and garden wares.
- Garden of Quasimodo: you'll find Mornington Garden Supplies here too.
- Heronswood Garden Shop: this is the home of The Diggers Club and provider of heirloom seeds all around Australia.
- Linton La Fontaine: plants, garden wares, home wares and gifts.
- The Briars Shire Nursery: to help choose indigenous Mount Eliza plants.
Landscaping, Garden Consultants and Landscape Architects
- Andiamo Landscaping
- Andrew Stark Garden Design: to find out more read our blog article, Meet Andrew Stark.
- Element Garden Design
- Eliza Paving and Landscaping
- Garden of Quasimodo
- Linton La Fontaine
- New Wave Landscapes
- Oliver Stone Landscaping
- Sema Scapes
- Stylin' Landscape Services
Vegetable garden specialists
Specialist gardening services and products
- Dove Cote Bird Feeders
- European Tools Australia
- Mt Eliza Mowers and Chainsaws: to find out more read our article, Have the Sharpest Tools in Your Shed
- Nupave: decorative concrete specialists
- Crown Lawn and Garden Services
- Dirt Girls
- Tree-rific and Mount Eliza Tree Removal
Garden, landscaping and building supplies
Mount Eliza flora and fauna reserves and memorial gardens
- Emil Madsen Reserve: 261 Wooralla Drive
- Howard Parker Reserve: 90-100 Canadian Bay Road
- Jessie White Reserve: Acheron and Rutland Avenues
- John H Butler Reserve: 2-10 Ranelagh Drive
- Lorikeet Reserve: entrance off Walkers Road, Moseley Drive or Fulton Road
- Moorooduc Quarry Flora and Fauna Reserve
- Mount Eliza CFA native garden
- Mount Eliza Memorial and Heritage Garden: Canadian Bay Road, Community Centre
- Mount Eliza Regional Park: entrance off Two Bays Road
And many more leafy, well maintained public spots to enjoy!
Article funded by Vicki Sayers, Live Love Mount Eliza | Written by Julie Pearce, Content Services Melbourne